Sunday, March 21, 2010

Snow or no snow?

One of my students, Elisa, and her family invited me to go to the snow with them to toboggan this past Friday, March 19th. Paula, another student of mine, also came along with us. The plan was to go to the mountains near Palencia, where there has been a lot of snow this winter. Unfortunately, all Thursday night and all day Friday it rained and there wasn't as much snow as anticipated, so our snow day ended up being washed out.

Instead, we visited two villages (Alguilar del campo & Barruelo) around Palencia (we did end up driving up the mountains to see how much snow there was, but there was not enough for tobogganing), then we had lunch in Barruelo, and visited a mine (well a reproduction of a mine) which was actually very interesting to visit. In this particular area of Palencia there are a lot of carbon mines.

The trip was really nice and at the end of the day we got a break from the non-stop rain and saw a little bit of sunshine. All in all it was fun.

When I arrived back to the piso that evening, I was greeted by a very adorable and welcoming beagle! Edita & Julio's daughter and her family went to Santander for the weekend so E & J offered to keep Coco (the beagle who's 1 yrs old) here at the piso for the weekend. I was so excited to have a dog in the piso. :)

Me, Paula and Elisa in front of an old mining cart.
As we left Barruelo, we passed a lot of trees with storks and stork nests in them. Apparently, there is a large population of storks in Castilla-Leon.
This is the little bit of snow that has been left over from winter.
The village of Barruleo, which is a mining town. In 2005 the town suspended all mining. One day they might open the mines again, but for now they remain closed.
One of the closed mines and its factory.
Maguil (Elisa's father), Lola (Elisa's mother), myself and Elisa.
The Visitor's Mine
The mine museum....not as boring as it sounds, I promise!
Old mining homes, these were built specifically for the miners and their families.
Elisa and Toby in front of the Visitor's mine.
The village of Aguilar del Campo and the man standing in this picture was our "guide" to the small church we visited. He is 85yrs old, but looks so much younger. I loved his outfit because it is very typical attire for older people of Castilla-Leon. Also, his shoes are specific for the mountainous parts of Palencia.
This is the painted ceiling of the little church
This is the altar inside of the church. It is an extremely small church that maybe holds 50 people at most. It is absolutely beautiful and humbling to see.
This is the entrance to the small church we visited. The sculptor sculpted the last dinner with Jesus as well as two other saints in this sculpture.
Coco the hunter....he truly is a beagle!

Hope you enjoyed the pictures!
Love, Celeste

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good story Celeste! Love Grandpa

Lizzy said...

I like the photo of the abandoned building!
You are so lucky to be able to travel around so much! (You must like your students!)

Celeste said...

Yes, I do really like my students. This was also an opportunity for me to see more of the Castilla-Leon region which I like so much. Also, the family of this particular student are so kind to me and are sweet enough to invite me to go on little excursions with them. It's so nice to be around a family since I'm so far away from my own. :)

Grandma said...

Celeste,

I continue to enjoy your blog about your adventures in Spain and other parts of Europe! You are very fortunate to have all of these experiences now while you are young!

I understand that you will be going back to Holland soon. Did you know that you are part Dutch? It is just a very little bit, but there is Dutch blood from three families who traveled from Holland to the Colonies and are part of your heritage on your great grandmother Martin's side. Their surnames were Drinker (left Holland for the colonies in the mid 1700's), Cockcroft (left Rotterdam, Holland in mid 1600's, child was born in Holland, but parents were born in London), and Mills or Miles (left Holland in the mid 1600's from Muisterdam, Gronengen, Holland. Again, the parents may have been born in England).
Love,
Grandma

Lizzy said...

Celeste- did you get anything in the mail yet? :)

Celeste said...

Lizzy,

I did get your letter!!! I received it while I was away, but I loved the magazine clipping. THANK YOU!!!! I now have something to swoon over until the next movie comes out...hehe!