Friday, February 5, 2010

Ballet + Flamenco = Fun, fun, fun!

First, I want to apologize for not updating my blog in quite some time now. It is just that not a whole lot has been going on and I didn't want to bore anyone about school stories and such, but I'll update more and maybe share what things I have been doing with my students.

During the last weekend of January, a famous ballet/flamenco company came to Valladolid to perform. It sounded interesting so I decided to go and invited Amy (the other American at the school with me) to join me. We went to the first performance, on Thursday, because it was the only day the theater was not sold out and we purchased seats in one of the side, private booths. I had never sat in a booth before and Amy and I thought maybe it would be fun. We sat 4 levels up from the stage so we had to lean over the side of our booth a little to see the stage, but otherwise it was very enjoyable.

The dance company was Balet Nacional de Espana and they performed at Teatro Calderon, which is a beautiful theater. The theater (as I have mentioned it before in another blog post) is absolutely beautiful and has images from famous Spanish plays and playwrights along the ceiling.

The show was very interesting and I really enjoyed it, being someone who isn't found of ballet, but it wasn't classical ballet rather a modern Spanish version of ballet with some influences of flamenco. It was very beautiful and the costumes were great because the dancers dressed up in clothes from different centuries and not in leotards.
This is the view from across our booth. We sat 4 levels up from the main floor.
This dance was more flamenco than ballet, but it wasn't true flamenco.
The chandelier in the theater.
This dance was a mixture of ballet and flamenco. You can tell which dancers danced which part just by looking at their shoes.
I loved the costumes!
Amy and I in our private booth. It seats 5 people, but we were the only ones in it. :)

Amy and I received a wonderful surprise when we were waiting at the entrance of the theater to go in. A student of ours from 2B was there with his mother. It was really nice to see a student outside of class and we talked for a little bit (in English of course). All in all it was a nice evening. :)

Besos, Celeste

2 comments:

Mom said...

Hi Celeste,
So, when are you going to take a Flamenco class?
Love,
Mom :)

Anonymous said...

The theater looks wonderful.

Grandpa