Thursday, October 16, 2008

School and new friends

My classes have been going well and I´m really enjoying what I am learning. In grammar we´re learning the rules of Spanish, in literature we have just finished learning about the different literary terms we will be using in the class and I finally picked a book to read as my final assignment. The book is called Lazarillo de Tormes; it is a story that was written during the middle ages (around the same time as Don Quijote) so it´s written in "old spanish", but the version of the book I´m reading is adapted and specific for students studying Spanish. I´m really excited about reading the book because it is a very important piece of Spanish literature. I have read excerpts from the book, but not the whole thing. It´s a picaresco story. I´m not really sure what that is, but I´m sure I´ll learn about it soon in class. In culture class we´ve been talking about what things we have noticed in Spain and why they are daily occurences and yesterday we started learning about the comunidades autonomias (the different regions) of Spain. Culture is definitely my favorite class.

Last night Emily and I went out with two of our new Spanish friends: David and Andrea. We just walked around downtown and then went to a bar to have a drink and just talk. We only spoke in Spanish, because they are nervous to speak in English, but hopefully next time they´ll practice with us. Oh, and they helped Emily and I with our homework. Below is a picture I had taken last night of the four of us!

I´m going to Valladolid so when I get back I´ll tell you all about it. I can´t wait!
Besos, Celeste

P.S. The Santander futbol stadium is near my university and I can see it when I look out the window when I´m in class. Check it out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Celeste,
Since you have such a beautiful view from your house and classroom, isn't it hard to focus on your studies? :)

Thanks for all your postings. It makes me feel as if I am right there with you!

Love you lots,
Mom