Monday, October 20, 2008

My return to Valladolid

I took a 3 hour train ride from Santander on the 17th to Valladolid. The train was very comfortable and there even was a movie. The whole ride I was getting more and more excited for the moment when I would reach Valladolid and be able to see my Spanish "abuelos" (Julio and Edita) and my friend Mayuka again! When I got off the train and entered the station, Julio was standing there waiting for me to arrive. We walked together to their piso and when we walked together I felt like no time had gone by during these past 3 years. There were some changes that I noticed since I have been gone. By the Campo Grande (a huge and beautiful garden), they put in a small resting area with benches and a fountain with bird baths.

When we arrived at the piso, I could tell that Edita was waiting for us at the door, because as soon as she heard our voices in the hall she opened the door and came rushing out to give me besos. It was wonderful to see them again. I put my things down in the guest room and then went to the living room so that we could catch up on things. We talked about everything and my studies and plans in Spain for the year. They currently have two girls from Montana living with them until December. They are really nice girls and invited me to go out with them a few times.

Around 7pm Kaeylan & Sarah (the new girls) were planning on going to a cafe and invited me to go. I went out with them, but I also called my friend Mayuka to come with us too because I really wanted to see her. When Mayuka showed up at the plaza we were meeting at, I was so excited to see an old friend. It turns out that Mayuka knows Sarah from one of their classes together. We all headed over to a cafe, which was a very funky place with different types of specialty coffees. Mayuka and I ordered the cafe bonbon (bonbon=sweets). The coffee had espresso, cacao, milk and caramel in it. Definitely not your normal coffee, but it was delicious!

Mayuka told me about going back to Japan, graduating, and working so that she could save money to return to Spain. She is going to study in Valladolid this year and then next year go somewhere else in Spain. She told me she wants to try to find a job so that she can live in Spain until she´s 30! She´s 24 right now, so 6 years! I thought that was great. Around 9:45 we left the cafe because at Edita´s we eat at 10. For dinner we had Tortilla de Patatas and salad....yum!

On Sat. I had breakfast with Julio (we both didn´t get up until 10am). It was nice to just have a relaxing morning. Then Mayuka and I had plans to meet at 12 in front of the Ayuntamiento. If you look at the picture below it says "100 years" of service in Valladolid.

When Mayuka and I met up, we decided to walk around the town a little and we ended up going to Zara, which is one of the most popular clothes stores in Spain and one of my favorites. I was careful to not spend money here. I only bought one shirt. We continued looking around the shops and then walked around Plaza Zorilla and made our way to Casa Cervantes. I had always wanted to go there, but for some reason Katherine and I never made it (by the way she is teaching English in Ecuador!!!). Casa Cervantes is the home of Miguel Cervantes (author of Don Quijote) when he lived in Valladolid for some time. I´m not sure how many years he lived in Valladolid, but it was a while. The house has been maintained the same way as when he lived in it, with all the same furniture, the books he read and wrote, and a very small kitchen. Enjoy the pictures. Mayuka is in the picture of Cervantes´"office". It is pretty cool to have been in his home.





After we walked around some more, we then went to go eat lunch. After lunch, I took a siesta (very necessary) and then spent some time with Julio and Edita. Around 7:30 we met up at the Pza Universidad so that we could find a bar to watch the Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid game...woo-hoo! Real Madrid won 2-1 off a penalty kick! I love soccer!

Sunday was short, but definitely a wonderful day. Mayuka and I walked around Campo Grande early that day and it was so beautiful because the leaves are starting to fall and change colors. Also the park is FILLED with peacocks (or Pavo Real). It was fun. Here are some of my pictures.




Then for lunch Edita made Paella and home made ice cream!!! It was perfect and she was even sweet enough to invite Mayuka so I would have more time with her and so Edita could meet her too. Kaelyn and Sarah were there too and I had such a fun time talking to everyone. The picture below is after our lunch. I returned back to Santander at 10:30pm and as soon as I got back to my piso I talked to my mom for a bit and then went to sleep.

I can´t wait to go back to Valladolid again. In November or December, I plan on returning!

Besitos, Celeste

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Celeste,

It sounds like visiting Valladolid lived up to your expectations. It's nice to be able to revisit friends in a place that you remember with such affection and find the people and place is as you remember them.

I'm really enjoying your photos and narration of your time in Spain!

Hugs,
Grandma