Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Teaching a Second Language

It is strange to be back in Spain, it feels like a while ago since I was last here. I'm living with my past host family Julio and Edita who are treating me so well and making my transition here a little easier. My first day at the high school(which is called instituto) IES Emilio Ferrari was Wed Sept. 15th. I didn't actually go into any classrooms, but I talked to the coordinator of the bilingual program, Teresa, about what my schedule as well as the other two conversation teachers' schedules will be for this week. We only work 12 hrs a week, which will end up being 3 hrs a day with Fridays off. She hasn't given me my permanent schedule yet, but I'm hoping it will be similar to my schedule this week.

Today (Thursday) I went into three different classrooms to talk and present a powerpoint presentation to the students about myself and CA. The high schools here are for 4 years, but the ages are different 1ESO=12/13 yr olds, 2ESO=13/14 yr olds, 3ESO=14/15 yr olds and 4 ESO= 15/16yr olds. There are three subjects taught in English at this school: science, history/geography and English. Today I was placed in three different English classrooms. My first class was with 1ESO students and I was surprised to see how young they are. They were quiet and didn't ask many questions about me. Then I was with a 2ESO class whose teacher is Teresa and these students I enjoyed a lot because they were a little more communicative with me and they were not as afraid to use their English. The last group I was with were 4ESO students. The teacher is Alicia and she also teaches the 1ESO class I presented to. The 4ESO group was a little tough because the students were very talkative. They were polite during my presentation, but afterward they were very chatty. It will be a little difficult with this group. In Spain, teachers don't give students consequences or reprimand them for misbehaving so it will be interesting to see what happens.

It is nice being in Valladolid again, some place I know well and feel comfortable in. I hope you are all well. I will write more when I know more.

Hugs all around! Celeste :D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Celeste,
Sounds like you'll have an intersting time teaching in Spain.

Love, Grandpa

Grandma said...

Celeste, I'm impressed that you did a powerpoint presentation to introduce yourself! I would have liked to have seen that. As far as rewards, etc. in the classroom, it seems to me that you could have some positive benefits apply when you are teaching. Loved hearing about your first day! Grandma

{ jess } said...

I was just thinking about you today...

Glad to hear you made it back there safely, and I'm still entirely jealous. Hope the transition into your job goes well!

Good luck!