Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Keep on, keeping on

I'm now well into my second week of classes (remember Thursday is my last day) and I'm having so much fun with the students. I think I'm really enjoying teaching English to them because first they can speak well enough and are able to ask questions and respond to questions. It is interesting also to hear what mistakes they make based on how they translate words or even sentences from Spanish to English.

I had a new class this week at the 2 level (I now have 2 classes at the 1 level, 2 at the 2 level, 1 at the 4 level and then the workshop for the primary students) and this class proved to be difficult. They would talk non-stop and I used so many different techniques to get them to stop talking and none would really work for that long. Today, it was the complete opposite. I moved one student to sit up front and the whole atmosphere changed. Every day in my classes it seems to get better.

Out of all the classes, I'm most looking forward to teaching the 4 level because the teacher has given me more freedom with what I can teach and I will have half of the class to myself while she takes the other half to the computer room.

I am slowly getting to know the other staff at the school, it is hard though because the Bilingual teachers seem to always be separated from the other teachers. I have met the director/headmaster of the school as well as the secretaries who have all been a great help. The school is a lot different from my own. I will take pictures of it and share them with all of you. The school is indoors (as are all Spanish schools) and it has three levels. The Bilingual project teachers (the teachers who teach in English) have their room on the second floor and there are two multimedia rooms, one of which has a smart board in it. Those of you who don't know what a smart board is, it's an interactive board. They are very cool and fun to use. You can show a PowerPoint on it and then use the electronic pens to write or draw on your PowerPoint or you can use the smart board as a regular white board. It's really fun to use.

The school is on the outskirts of the city of Valladolid, about a good 45-50 minute walk from where I live. It is in an area where a lot of homes are. I'll share more as I go along. I'm having so much fun and I really enjoy the teachers I'm working with.

I wish you all well and I give you lots of hugs (as my 2 level students say).

Besos, Celeste

2 comments:

Grandma said...

Celeste,
It's so much fun hearing about your classes and school! I experienced a demostration of a smart board last year in Daniel's sixth grade class. What fun it must be for both you and the students!
Sounds like you are going to get lots of good exercise walking home from class each day...wear good walking shoes!
Big hugs to you too,
Grandma

Anonymous said...

Dear Celeste,
Your posts are so interesting! Always glad to read the latest one.
Love, Grandpa