Friday, November 5, 2010

Belgium...round 1:Brussels

Belgium was amazing, I just loved the people, the food and the cities. Because I am so tired from uploading pictures for this trip I will just share little blurbs about each picture. If any of you want to know more about my trip feel free to ask! Side note, I have NO idea why the text is underlined, please bear with me. :)Place du Petit Sablon....this was a great little area in the middle of the city. Beautiful and I had fun taking pictures here.
Inside the Place du Petit Sablon. There is a pretty pond in front of the statue.
Katedral du Sablon....this is an epic cathedral, I love every bit of it. Pure Gothic architecture.
The comic strip Tin Tin is from Belgium and throughout the city of Brussels there are different paintings on the sides of buildings of this comic strip.
A gorgeous gazebo inside the Warenden Park, Brussels own central park.
Warenden Park...it is just spectacular now that it is autumn. :)
This skate park was built and created by the youth of the city....now that is cool.
The Parliament building
The town hall at night...It looks much more majestic at night.


Odd statue across from the Royal Palace...something new, right?
Okay so this is after not sleeping for over 30 hours or so, I realize it isn't the most flattering picture, but boy, did I enjoy that waffle! Notice Tin Tin behind me.
Mannekin Pis, Brussels very own symbol. Not that you can see it in this picture, but the statue is peeing and there is water coming from it to look like as if the statue is peeing. The story is that a father lost his son one night during a festival. When the little boy was found, he was seen peeing on some torches that were going to be used by Brussels' enemies to burn the city down. The boy became the town hero....or so the story goes.
Grote Markt, also known as the city's main square. On the right side is where the town hall is.
Okay, so this picture makes me look creepy...it's the lighting I swear! Anyways, we thought we'd be Spaniards and have a botellon (basically a drinking party on the streets...we just had one beer).
First day....Jeri, Emily and I in the main square with the town hall behind us.
One of the many churches/cathedrals we saw on our trip....simple, but very elegant looking.
Cortes dus Compe...we still have no idea what this place is.
The comic museum. Belgium also brought us the smurfs; I'm grateful to them for that. :)
Belgium was ready for Halloween!
One of many waffle stands. Yes, people actually bought their waffles like these. Yummmmmm.
Some interesting architecture in Grote Markt.
The stock exchange building. I wonder what it was originally built for.
The front of the Royal Palace.
Katedral chapelle.....across from the skate park. :)

Hope you enjoyed Brussels; I know I did! There is more to come...

No comments: