Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My Spanish Thanksgiving Dinner......and apple pie.

I hope all of your Thanksgiving dinners were fantastic and delicious....how jealous I am of those who ate stuffing and pumpkin pie. Anyway, it was a fantastic surprise (although Emily and I knew ahead of time because Carmen accidentally let it slip). Well, this is the first year she had done this, but Carmen wanted our group to have a Thanksgiving dinner since we would all be missing it. She found a bar/restaurant that prepares food for large groups and asked them if they could make us a "Thanksgiving" dinner. They did it for us...a little different, but it was delicious. We had dinner around 9pm and it was fun because we were all in a room that was blocked off from the rest of the place so we could just have fun.
Las Guapas...all dressed in black: Emily, Hayley, me and Megan. Fun times with these girls.

Before the main dish came out we had Spanish appetizers: jamon serrano and tortilla de patatas, both which I love. We also had a bottle of wine to share between three people and unlimited amount of water and refrescos (this is NOT normal in Spain). After a half hour the best part came out...the turkey! There wasn´t one turkey, but 2! We couldn´t believe it. Along with the turkey we had blueberry sauce, mashed potatoes, apple sauce and lots of bread. The turkey was surprisingly delicious, juicy and with lots of flavor. It was really fun just to be with my group and talk about our Thanksgiving dinners at home and our families.
This is one half of my group: Left-Megan, Carmen, Mayte, Right-Michelle, Jordan, Rachel & Sheila
The fun group (aka my group) Left-Mayte, Jairo, Tyler, Spencer, Right- Me, Hayley, Emily, Corie and Shannon
Tyler cutting the turkey for all of us!

After an hour, the postre came out. It was interesting, a Spanish postre no doubt. It was a kind of pumpkin cake with custard. It was good though and still nice that I had something with pumpkin. After dinner we all went around sharing something we were thankful for. We ended up staying at the restaurant until 11:30pm and then all went home. I had so much fun and lots of pictures to share...as usual!

My Valladolid Thanksgiving!
I really wanted to see Julio, Edita and Mayuka one more time before Christmas and because I am so close to them I wanted to take advantage of that. So this past weekend (Fri-Sun) I went to Valladolid. I had a great time and didn´t do anything exciting. Mayuka and I walked around the town a lot and reminisced about the past. It was fun because at certain places (like a church, or the bars, or a café) I remembered a conversation or something I had done there and it was so clear for me. I was very happy to be there again...to be home. :D
Mayuka and I in front of La Iglesia La Antigua
Anyway, on Saturday Edita had told me that we are going to have a very special lunch on Sunday. She said she is going to make a Spanish style Thanksgiving "dinner". On Sunday, I was soooo happy about the lunch and couldn't wait. When I went into the dinning room, the table was decorated all beautifully with Christmas decorations! Edita had left the kitchen to do something and so Kaelyn and I sneaked into the kitchen to try to find the apple pie. We looked everywhere, the fridge, the cupboards, the oven and couldn't find the pie anywhere. Kaelyn was really sad that we weren't going to have an apple pie, but still we had a lot of food to eat. Edita made an amazing meal and it was all delicious! We first had a vegetable plate with green beans, garlic, onions, potatoes and zucchini. Then we had the main course which was a huge roasted turkey stuffed with fruit. I've never thought about having fruit in a chicken, but Edita put in apples, mangoes and pears. It was sooo delicious and added a great flavor to the chicken. When we were all done Edita cleared off the table and then oddly went into her bedroom. I turned to Kaelyn and said, I bet you she put the postre in her bedroom so we wouldn't see it! I quickly grabbed my camera to take a picture and I got a good one. If you look at it you can see the very proud grin on Edita's face.

Mi abuelo espanol, Julio and I
Edita with a sneaky grin on her face!

Anyway, the apple pie was very different from our own, but it was still good. It had warm apples with cinnamon and then I'm not sure what else it's made with, but I did enjoy it. I did however miss Thanksgiving at home...I wish I had stuffing.

I wish you all a wonderful week and weekend and tomorrow I'm going to Prague!!! I'll let you know how it was when I return. Besitos :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Celeste,

Just think, you had two Thanksgiving dinners Spanish style! I am certain that you were thankful that you were able to spend your weekend with Julio, Edita, and Mayuka! In turn, I am sure that they were thankful that you returned to spend time with them. I am really happy that you have kept in touch with all of them.

I love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Celeste, You had a wonderful Thanksgiving meal! You're a good writer!
Love, Grandpa