Sunday, October 18, 2009

Pumpkins, mexican food and new friends

This past weekend I started celebrating Halloween with the other two American girls that are living here (Kayla and Kendra who are both from Wisconsin). This past Sunday we carved pumpkins. We found some smaller sized pumpkins at a supermercado and we thought it would be fun to carve one, which is exactly what we did. Since we are in Spain, we had to be creative with our utensils and how to make the designs. We decided just to use regular steak knives and soup spoons to carve our pumpkins...can you imagine? It was difficult, but the result was wonderful! We now have the pumpkins sitting outside on the balcony looking in on us, so we can enjoy them.
Before picture: Me, Kayla and Kendra
After picture...what do you think of our creations?
The 3 pumpkins.

On Sunday I also made chicken enchiladas for everyone. Since the weekend before I had Mexican food and told Edita (the host abuela) about the food, she asked if I could make enchiladas for everyone. I agreed. Now it was harder to do it in Spain because they don't have all the right ingredients here, but it still turned out really tasty and I thankfully found some chili peppers so it was a little spicy. It was a hit! Everyone enjoyed it, which was great.

Then on Saturday (yes, I realize I'm going backwards), I went out to lunch with my friend Mayuka who invited two friends of hers for me to meet and we had a wonderful time. The two friends are actually engaged, the guy is Enrico and he is from Italy and the girl is Yuka who is from Japan. Neither of them speak each others native tongue, so they communicate through Spanish...how cool is that?! They are both great people and so much fun to hang out with.

Other than that I didn't do anything out of the ordinary: planning classes, getting coffee, running errands (I'm finally not illegal here!!!!). It was a nice weekend!

Wish you all well.
Love, Celeste

3 comments:

Mom said...

Hi Celeste,

I am sure that Julio and Edita enjoyed the pumpkins carvings, Mexican food, and Halloween cookies! So, are you going to dress up for Halloween when you are in Amsterdam?

I love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Celeste, Happy Halloween! Nice (but scary) pumpkins.

Love, Grandpa

Anonymous said...

Yay! Way to bring Halloween--one of the best holidays ever--to Spain! Nice pumpkins! Er... calabasas?
-Lizzy