Thursday, March 26, 2009

Ronda y Malaga-home of Antonio Banderas

Hey everyone,

I hope you all are doing well and that everything is going well in your lives. Miss you all very much and hope I can see you all when I get back to the states...June 1st!

So new blog: Ronda and Malaga, March 21&22

With my program we went to the province of Malaga and visited the small town of Ronda, which was beautiful, and the capital city, Malaga. Ronda is a small town that is still somewhat medieval and just has beautiful landscapes and lots of plants and trees everywhere. I don't honestly remember much from the visit because the guide wasn't very interesting, but we visited an old Arab bath that used to be used by the nobles. We watched a hilariously poorly made CGI film on what the baths used to look like and how the different rooms were used.

Then we walked around the town a little bit and saw the little homes and the "Lord of the Rings" look-a-like bridge. It was really nice. We had lunch outside and just looked at the gardens that were near us. It was wonderful because the whole town smelt like flowers because all the plants were in bloom!
Cool fountain with big orange fish!
The city of Ronda.
Katie, Maggie and I
The Lord of the Rings bridge...pretty impressive!
How amazing would it be to live there?!


Around 4:30pm we drove from Ronda to Malaga. When we arrived in Malaga, we wanted to go to the beach but by the time we got there it was dark. Unfortunately, we didn't have time the next day because the only other free time we had was when I was going to visit the Picasso museum. So Saturday evening, the girls and I just hung out at the hotel and watched random German tv shows and then we headed out for dinner. We went to a really good restaurant where we had some tapas and tinto verano (wine with lemon juice).

On Sunday, we took a walking tour around the city of Malaga. It was actually really fun. Malaga wasn't as pretty as I thought it would be. The area by the port is beautiful, but most of the city is very touristy so it wasn't too exciting. I got to see the port, a really cool old roman fortress, the outside of the beautiful cathedral, plaza mayor which was actually pretty small for being the main plaza, and the Picasso museum. I really liked the Picasso museum because it had some of his earlier work as well as his later work and some sketches he had done. I really like his earlier work; I'm not one for the abstract stuff, although I feel like I kind of understand why/how he painted the way he did. We had free time for lunch and the girls and I walked around for a little while and then headed back to Granada. It was a short trip, but a good one and very relaxing.
The girls and I in front of the Cathedral in Malaga. I loved the marble doorways!
The Roman Fortress...so pretty!
The main street in Malaga
Cool fish fountain in the Roman Fortress.
Gardens!

The port in Malaga.
Cool statue

Tomorrow (March 27) I'm going to Italy to visit my Italian friend Jessica, who I met in Santander, and I'll be staying with her until Tuesday. I'm so excited and we are going to visit some cities that are near her town. I hope to hear from you all soon!

Besos, Celeste

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Celeste,

Did you happen to run into Mr. Juan Sanchez while you were in Malaga? I'm sure that if he had been nearby you would have heard his laugh, which is very recognizable!

I am glad that you are taking advantage of your many travel opportunities!

I love you,
Mom